No question: Prague’s Old Town Square is one of the world’s top landmarks.
But would you rank it ahead of the Eiffel Tower and Notre Dame Cathedral in Paris, the Tower of London, or the Acropolis in Athens?
That’s exactly where it sits in TripAdvisor’s new 2018 Travelers’ Choice rankings, which culls millions of user reviews for landmarks across the globe to determine the highest-rated sights worldwide.
Just missing the top 10 is Prague’s Old Town Square, which comes in at number 11. That’s just ahead of Rio de Janeiro’s Christ the Redeemer (#13), as well as the Eiffel Tower (#14), Notre Dame Cathedral (#12), the Tower of London (#15), and the Acropolis (#16).
That’s a huge leap for Old Town Square, and Prague in general: in 2017, no Prague landmarks ranked in the TripAdvisor Travelers’ Choice top 25.
For the second year running, Angkor Wat in Cambodia rates as the world’s top landmark. Plaza de Espana in Seville, Sheikh Zayed Mosque in Abu Dhabi, St. Peter’s Basilica in Vatican City, and Mezquita Cathedral de Cordoba in Andalusia round out the top 5.
On TripAdvisor, Old Town Square is ranked #1 out of 1,057 things to do in Prague, with 50,000+ reviewers giving the Square an average 4.5-star rating.
1. Angkor Wat, Cambodia
2. Plaza de Espana, Seville, Spain
3. Sheikh Zayed Mosque, Abu Dhabi
4. St. Peter’s Basilica, Vatican City
5. Mezquita Cathedral de Cordoba, Andalusia, Spain
6. Taj Mahal, India
7. Duomo di Milano, Milan
8. Alcatraz Island, San Francisco
9. Golden Gate Bridge, San Francisco
10. Parliament, Budapest
11. Old Town Square, Prague
12. Notre Dame Cathedral, Paris
13. Corcovado Christ the Redeemer, Rio de Janeiro
14. Eiffel Tower, Paris
15. Tower of London, England
16. Acropolis, Athens
17. Temple of the Reclining Buddha, Bangkok
18. Mutianyu Great Wall, China
19. Burj Khalifa, Dubai
20. Sydney Opera House, Australia
21. Santuario Historico de Machu Picchu, Peru
22. El Ateneo Grand Splendid, Buenos Aires
23. Notre-Dame Basilica, Montreal
24. Fushimi Inari-taisha Shrine, Japan
25. Shwedagon Pagoda, Myanmar